Load Shedding

Once I arrived in Cape Town I quickly learned the term "load shedding" and its meaning. About 1 hour after I arrived all the power in my homestay went out. This power outage was a scheduled outing that occurred multiple times a day and was referred to as load shedding. This had been occurring for a few months before I arrived and there still is no plan for it ending. To the people in Africa this is an occurrence that greatly inconveniences their lives and adds regular challenges to their days, however they took on this inconvenience with such a positive manner. The entire concept was often a subject of jokes and utilized as an opportunity to come together and help one another. The family I was with would tell me that they as a people have suffered many challenges over the years, but that they are people who dance and sing when they are sad and struggling and that was extremely evident over the course of time I spent there. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Learned

Post-rotation

Pediatric Surgery